Thursday, February 23, 2006

Los Angeles Marathon- The race that never was

Yes, its official now. I have backed out gracefully from running this. Many reasons but no excuses- I'm just plainly not prepared for this one.

Its time to start with a clean slate. I think the main reason I suceeded with the Portland Marathon was because I commited to it officially... so here i'm going to atleast commit to my goals for the next marathon- Chicago, in october 06.

But this time, I don't just want to run and finish the marathon. I want to set some more specific goals. My first thoughts are:
1. Speed/Time: Finish the marathon in 5 hours. To achieve this goal I'm going to enlist the help of Sanjose Fit- A running group.
2. Weight: My previous marathon was finished with finishing being the only goal. While I definitely got fitter, I can't say I lost a whole lot of weight. I didn't focus too much on healthy eating or any restraints. This time- I had better. My goal- reach 145lbs. This weight loss should not be at the cost of muscle loss- so onto goal 3.
3. Improve upper body strength with some sort of regular strength/resistance training. Specifc goal- 4 times a week.
4. Improve overall flexibility- Yoga. Specific goal - 4 times a week
5. Cross train- Running takes a serious toll and I need a good crosstraining sport to keep me fit when I'm not running. Sculling is the primary sport I have identified. Specific goal - 2 times a week. If I can't enlist, then my backup plan has got to be swimming.

Oh! lest I forgot, I need to continue with my day job. So I need to figure out how to fit all the above goals into my life.

San Jose Fit program doesn't start until April. So I should be back to running 8 miles for long runs without injuries before that.

Cheers... and heres to a 06 filled with doing these things that I love to do.

9 Comments:

Blogger Meera Manohar said...

I remember your excruciating Portland preparation!!

I wish u all luck, and mind U I will be here to bug the life out of you. Especially given you have verbalised your thoughts (a huge mistake buddy with me around (-:

Prod on....

2/23/2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Lg said...

Good Luck Manu!

2/23/2006 8:28 PM  
Blogger Manohar said...

Merci (or should I say Mercy) to both of you. :)

2/23/2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger Blabber-blogger said...

Ok.. 6 miles n 10 miles.. Sounds very challenging. I have had a loooong break from running outside. Right now, cant even think i will be able to finish a 5 mile alive forget the timing :((

Well ur goals abt fitness in general - very motivating. So.. Let me revive myself n :D then..

Good luck for your marathon records. !!

2/27/2006 10:43 AM  
Blogger Manohar said...

Thanks Nyneishia. Good luck with reviving your running and back to heavy mileage :)

3/01/2006 3:43 PM  
Blogger sdpal said...

Hello..! you forgot about eating, sleeping, shit**.. when are they gonna happen! Btw, Manu I will be visiting bay-area around "May" time-frame. Seeing your busy schedule, I doubt I will be able to see you. If you can calculate and post your practising-route/timing, maybe I can try and drive around that area to see/talk/run/eat(?!?) with you!
You escaped my previous visit!

3/03/2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Manohar said...

@sdpal: Don't worry dude- we shall party away when you are here.

3/06/2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger nourish-n-cherish said...

Hey...I just came to your blog after a long time, since I thought you had stopped blogging, given the irregular posts on Tangential thoughts. My mind came to the foregone conclusion that you were working hard - while all the time, you have been making plans for the next marathon - very good!

All the best to you!

3/30/2006 11:39 AM  
Blogger Manohar said...

Thanks saumya.

4/17/2006 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home